Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Flow of Dance

Hello again guys,
So I recently was procrastinating on stumbleupon.com (surprise surprise) and I came upon this beautiful video of a man dancing ballet. I read the accompanying article first and was excited when I read that the dancer wanted to appear in "the zone." This immediately reminded me of the Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's
TedTalk we watched on flow (posted below).
When watching the video titled "Lost in Motion" of the man dancing, he appears to in fact be lost in motion. He does not appear to be thinking about what he is doing, but instead he appears to be living through his dance in a moment of ecstasy. The dance moves he performs seem effortless, and his relaxed facial expressions supports that thought. The idea that the audience is unseen and unable to see the dancer until the end of the video suggests that the dancer is not dancing for an audience, he is dancing for himself and for the love of dance. The slowing of certain dance moves, mostly jumps, creates a sense of timelessness which is one of the main aspects that Csikszentmihalyi addresses about being in a state of flow. Overall, I thought it was a beautiful video and I found it very applicable to this class. Enjoy!

Haneen

No comments:

Post a Comment