Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I can't believe I have seen this 10 times....



Here it is. I am actually stunned at the amount of time it must take for people to spend thinking about funny Lin puns #Lintertainment.
Well, I guess I want to just think about more than just what people think about him, but what his coaches and other players think of him. The truth is he is a basketball player and that is the identity most prominent to them, they don't revel over his "asianness" or his intellect. They revel over his sweet moves ((or in Kobe's case, he seems a little more pissed than he does amazed)). But the truth is those moves were spectacular and Im going to take a guess and say that he did NOT learn any of that from his Econ class.
I may be biased, because Lin styled on Kobe, but he is playing good ball. He is the point gurard that the Knicks were so desperate for. I want people to see Lin as a PG, a baller, an asset, not a superhero or a outlier.
If only....

-Frankie V

1 comment:

  1. I think your post is extremely interesting! Because he is such a good basketball player I think people are starting to be able to look beyond his status as an outlier. Although, him being that outlier breaks down many barriers and stereotypes currently held in society. People no longer have to think that basketball is a selective sport for only tall African American men. It also shows that race, gender, and ethnicity are nothing more than aspects to a person's identity. For most activities in life these are not involved in whether someone has the ability to do something. For example, just because Lin is Asian doesn't mean he can't play basketball, because clearly he is among the best. Another example would be Danica Patrick who made people think twice when she was the first woman to drive race cars. Having outliers in common everyday activities allows us to think about the world in a different way.

    ReplyDelete