If it is indeed any/all of these, then why are so many people so caught up with only the "traditional" sports (such as basketball, football, baseball, soccer..etc.)?
Honestly, most of these sports (involving some sort of ball in some sort of field) bore the hell out of me. I cannot stay interested in watching people run around trying to get from one point to another, and/or obsessing over where the ball is, and how to get it to where they want it to go. I understand that there is in fact tactics and skill involved in doing such things, but honestly, it's just impossible for me to become interested in the premise of these types of games, which is ultimately just to score goals/touchdowns/runs/baskets. Essentially to get from one side of somewhere to the other.
Which brings up another point:
Why the lack of interest in other types of sports? Also, why are some non-traditional sports not even considered by some people to be sports at all? There are a multitude of sports that are not centered around points or goals, but rather the performance and technique/skill of individuals competing directly against each other to be better than each other. Sports such as biking, billiards, track & field, marksmanship. All of these sports fulfill most of the questions listed at the beginning of this post. Many such sports are not inherently competitive, such as rock climbing, but I still consider all of these to be actual sports.
While some of these sports I just listed are also points based, all of these are infinitely more enjoyable to watch and pay attention to than football, basketball, etc. I cannot explain exactly why (as some are rather slow paced); I guess it really is just individual preference.
I guess there was no real point to this blog post, so I'll end with one. My point is: don't judge because some people do not watch the same sports you do. Some sports may not be "traditional" sports, but in the end, sports are sports.
but I don't judge you if you don't find it interesting.
That video was incredible. I definitely think that video is more interesting than most games I have watched recently. It is a good point you made the differences between what we consider to be a sport and a game. Certain games you can play with yourself, such as card, but extreme biking would just be considered a sport and not a game. When you look up the definitions of sports and games, a game is a much more broad term encompassing sports, so you think that all sports are inherently games. However, in our social lexicon we often have games as a specific type of sport, or as separate from sports.
ReplyDelete