On the last season of the voice I voted every week that I could on my favorite artists. She didn't end up winning and I felt like the American people made a huge mistake. However, why the heck am I at all qualified to make decisions on things that are such big deals?
Like, a record deal is a huge thing! This is someones career, potentially their last/only chance to secure a spot in a business that doesn't just let anyone in. The show, the Voice, is set up as a competition, or maybe a game? First, you audition for a team trying to prove to the "Coaches" (as they call the judges) that you will be a solid addition to their team. Then, if you have made a team the next step os to compete in one on one battles against your own team members in order to cut down to the best players on each team. Then comes the live shows. They perform, the judges have a limited say at this point. The fans, people all over America, get a chance to choose who they feel are the best. SO SUBJECTIVE. Like, since when do we get to decide who is more talented among the pop star, the country singer, or the rocker. These types of shows really baffle me. I mean, I faithfully watch because I think its great and so entertaining. But, i hate that someones career is on the line every week and we just see it as a game, a source of entertainment. These types of games are more complex than just the concepts we have been throwing around. Sports can be fairly similar, except you control how you play and your efforts/the other teams efforts will determine a winner. Here, for some reason, people who know little about music and the profession behind it get to choose who wins. Well, all i'm trying to say is that when it comes to things like this, the whole idea that we get to be a part of the results and final decision is a little daunting. This is someones life, how they perform and how the professional coaches think they did in the end should be the only factors that play a role in the final decision.
Anyways, I definitely think you should watch this. So worth your time.
She definitely should have won.
Haha I completely agree with your comment because if you really think about it, the whole premise of reality tv and how it became so popular is actually quite interesting. In the end though I feel a lot of these shows are purely there for entertainment and making money for the networks, the players and their future are really just byproducts of this. One lucky contestant will end up winning, but even that doesn't necessarily mean much...as one can see by the declining cd sales of the latest American Idol winners. The attention span of the American public tends to be quite fickle so its up to the contestant to see if they have the ability to capitalize on their 15 minutes of fame.
ReplyDelete