For the past two summers I have been a camp counselor at a camp in Michigan. My sole responsibility at this camp is a boy named Tyler who happens to be the only special needs child at this camp. Tyler has autism and his family hired me to stay with Tyler for the four weeks of camp and make sure he is safe, and that he has a great summer and is successfully integrated into the camp. There is no place on earth where games are more important and prominent than at camp. This is a sleep away camp where kids literally wake up and play games all day and then go to sleep. Camp is a dream and is specifically a place where these kids go where they can play games and have a great time all day.
It is has been an incredible experience working with Tyler and attempting to successfully integrate him into the camp and into every game possible. Every day is interesting for us as the camp comes up with new and crazy games on a daily basis. Tyler is most comfortable when we are sticking to a routine and are playing sports and games that he is familiar with and has practiced before and is aware of the objective. It can be very difficult when the camp suddenly throws out this crazy, goofy game. This sudden change can be very difficult to overcome, but is manageable if I can provide some familiar structure to the new game and present Tyler with a specific goal. Tyler is at his best when has a specific goal within a game or sport and knows exactly what he is supposed to be doing.
It is interesting to me how games mean different things to different people and how we all see games in different ways. Tyler sees the games we play in a different way than most of the campers, but is still able to compete and have a great time while playing the games he loves. It is a pretty incredible experience to see the camp completely open up to Tyler and take him in. Everyone at camp immediately jumped on the Tyler bandwagon and goes out of their way to include him in every activity and game that they happen to be playing. It is amazing to me that kids so young can have the maturity to take a step back from an unbelievably competitive game just to find a way to get Tyler involved. Games can be a tool for many different things and purposes. This is a case where games are bringing people together over a common goal and purpose which is to help integrate Tyler into the rest of the camp and allow him to have the best summers of his life as well.
David, this is a wonderful thing you have done the past two summers. Having just learned about autism in one of my psychology classes I know how difficult of a job this must be. I find it interesting how Tyler functions at a high enough level to make up games and still have that sense of competitiveness. Games just seem to be apart of everyone's life no matter what. Keep up the good work, im sure this means a lot to Tyler.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a wonderful thing you have done the past two years David. I too have experienced time with an autistic child and I know how difficult it can be. I think it is great that you were able to help incorporate something as important to a childhood as play, games, and competition. I used to love making up games and I think it is great that Tyler has that ability to do so as it is such a big part of growing up. My friend's brother is also autistic but functions at a very high level. However, he isn't as into games as he is into art. However, I like to think that this is his competition in life--getting better, more creative, producing piece after piece even with his disability. What you are doing is fantastic, everyone needs a little healthy competition and should be treated equally enough to have it. It shapes people and may even help Tyler in the long run.
ReplyDeleteDavid, that's so great of you to be helping Tyler through one of the best times a kid can have, camp. I agree that camp is a place made for games, and it is SO much fun. I think that games are something that bring people together at a much quicker pace than a lot of things. Games make kids who might be exclusive in other areas of their lives, open up and accept new players and make new friends in the process. A game makes an immediate bond between people that I think is one of the reasons camp friends are so close and become friends so quickly. I'm sure Tyler is so thankful for you integrating him into these games and making him have an unforgettable summer.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience in a day camp I worked at in the summer of 2010. One of my campers was autistic, yet his parents mainstreamed him. Although I don't know if i support their decision, it was our responsibility to make sure my camper felt comfortable...but more importantly that the other campers did not leave him out or cause him harm. Zack, my camper, was at his prime during sports and games. It was actually the only situation that I can recall where he didn't stand out as not as advanced as the other boys. He had a goal, and he accomplished it. He didn't have to speak or communicate with words, only through motions. As you said games mean different things to different people. But, to Zack, it was his only chance at normalcy.
ReplyDelete